turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambientk

California mortgage interest adjustment

The instructions say "Enter the amounts you did not deduct on the federal return that were limited."  My HELOC is $140,000.  I was not able to itemize on my federal return.  The amount that carried over from the federal worksheet to my California return is $1739 but my total interest paid per the 1098 was $6200. Do I enter the difference on the California return?  Or the full/actual amount of interest paid (6200). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You do not enter any additional amount. The program has calculated the disallowed amount from your federal return.

[Edited 04/01/2019 I 4:02 PM]

View solution in original post

21 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You do not enter any additional amount. The program has calculated the disallowed amount from your federal return.

[Edited 04/01/2019 I 4:02 PM]

TNT1
Level 2

I'm not sure if this is correct bc when I reviewed my state itemized adjustments I see that TT has already entered the difference for me.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If the amount has been carried over then you do not enter anything further.
shota0517

This information should already available in the software during federal tax return. What is the point to ask user to input this number manually here. Hope TurboTax can fix this issue in the future.
garyhuynh

Yes, this confusion is preventing me from efiling my CA return...please fix!!!!
ewu1030

I've tried leaving it default blank "0", I've tried the difference amount, I've tried the full amount and they all error and disallow me from e-filing. It's hanging up for the CA state taxes. Can't find too much info online yet.
alfred-a

I too am having this issue.  What is the solution TurboTax??

I'm having the same problem and it won't let me e-file. I've tried entering 0 and it still tells me "you can't claim more than your total interest/points" I am NOT inputting more. I've spent hours on the phone with turbo tax and they are telling me my entry is not correct. I am sure it is. I've reviewed it several times. Where's the fix for this turbotax? I am unable to e-file my taxes.
tvtong10

I have the same issue and it prevents me eFiling.  TT asked for itemized deduction, but at the end the choice is standard.  Meaning my Fed tax return does not use mortgage deduction yet.  So in CA adjustment, it puts the entire amount of $8500.  But it errors in CA review.  It didn't have this error a few week ago.  It looks like TT updated the software and didn't include the patch.  Please roll back the fix.
tvtong10

I have the same issue and it prevents me eFiling.  TT asked for itemized deduction, but at the end the choice is standard.  Meaning my Fed tax return does not use mortgage deduction yet.  So in CA adjustment, it puts the entire amount of $8500.  But it errors in CA review.  It didn't have this error a few week ago.  It looks like TT updated the software and didn't include the patch.  Please roll back the fix.
sfviolins
Returning Member

If you enter -1, it works. That's what mine defaulted to. If I enter 0, it errors.
alfred-a

entering -1 did not work for me, still errors out

I have the same issue, does anyone know how to solve it
gan-link

I need help with this problem too. I don't even know why I'm getting this error "adjusted california interest cannot be greater than total interest"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies