Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

agegrant

I have foreign pension income and the payor does not have a "Federal identification number". Can I E-file the my Federal or New York tax returns?

I initially created substitute 1099-R with the "Federal identification number" blank and this went through all checks but the problem emerged at the final step before the E-filing.

I then changed to 1099-MISC and here the "Federal identification number" is required to pass the reviews.

I tried using 9s and 0s but these did not work.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have foreign pension income and the payor does not have a "Federal identification number". Can I E-file the my Federal or New York tax returns?

Hi - I used 11-1111111 on my 1099R for pension from a source (UN) that has no federal tax id and it worked; I was able to e-file.  I also have pension income from the UK and France.  In prior years my tax accountant put this on line 21 of the 1040; no 1099 was needed.  He prepared a separate Statement to explain the source. Note: I pay no tax on my UK and France pension income - a) I obtained an authorization - through the UK's tax office in Philadelphia that administers aspects of the bilateral tax agreement between UK and US - to have no withholding in the UK as I include it on my US tax return and pay tax here. This year in Turbotax my foreign pension income is included on line 7, even though I have no W2.  The Turbotax expert I discussed this with advised it is ok, as long as I have documents to justify this income, should there be any quesions from the IRS.

SandroLR

I followed your suggestion and was able to file electronically.

However, shortly after I was notified that my e-filing had be rejected because 11-1111111 is not included in the IRS database.  My State e-filing was also rejected because the IRS had rejected the federal e-filing.

I guess I will have to file via mail.

Too bad TurboTax software does not include a provision for such cases.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This is a shortcoming for filing a substitute 1099R without a valid EIN.  I always recommend filing this as other income instead. if you haven't mailed yet, file in this manner.

• Federal
  • Income and Expenses
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Show More
  • Start next to Miscellaneous Income
  • Start next to Other Reportable Income
  • For description mention pension income from foreign source and then the amount.

This reporting method will allow you to file electronically.

@SandroLR 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SandroLR

Thank you for your advice.

I tried to follow your suggestion but I was not able to make it work right.  In particular I am not able to get full deduction on the tax already withheld abroad (Italy).
Additionally, I believe I should also file a form 8833 (on treaty for the avoidance double taxation) that TurboTax does not seem to be handling via e-filing.
AmyC
Expert Alumni

That makes a difference. Dave has the right steps for the easiest entry on the pension. Then, if you have decided to mail in your return with the treaty position, you will want to back the income out using the same steps until the entry. 

You may need to file Form 8833 with your state return.

Follow these steps:

1. Select Federal
  2. Select Income & Expenses
  3. Locate Less Common Income
  4. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. select START
  6. scroll to the bottom to Other Reportable Income.
  7. Select START
  8. select YES
  9. Enter description,  Italian Pension
  10. then your pension amount
  11. Select Continue
  12. Select Add Another Income Item
  13. Enter description,  Italy treaty based exemption
  14. then a negative of your pension amount (use a minus sign in front)
  15. Select Continue
  16. click Done

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies