sheila-amiot

I have claimed Skylar Carroll as a dependent from 2000 to 2014 and have never had a problem until you said I couldn't claim her last year. Your legal department says yes

I pay all her expences, she lives with me and is a full time student.

Marketstar

Your two possibilities to claim a dependent are as follows:

You can claim your student as a Qualifying Child dependent if:

• The child must be related to you. The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply (ie. away at school).
  • The child cannot provide more than half of his/her support.
  • You must be the only person claiming the child
  • The child must be a US citizen, resident alien, national, or resident of Mexico or Canada.
  • The child cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

You can claim her as a Qualifying Relative dependent if:

• You provided more than half of her support in 2016
  • She earned less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)
  •  She lives with you 365 days in the year or is related to you. 32
  •  She isn’t a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
  • She isn’t filing a tax return with a spouse (married filing jointly).
  • She  is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident

You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes

See Rules For Claiming Dependents

Marketstar

See Rules For Claiming Dependents