turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dvorak1

I have been filing my photography as a business for a few years with a small loss every year. What are some concerns about filing it as a hobby this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I have been filing my photography as a business for a few years with a small loss every year. What are some concerns about filing it as a hobby this year?

If your business does not show a profit after a few years, the IRS may question if it's a business or a hobby, but profit is not the only consideration.  This article on the IRS website offers 9 factors to consider:  How do you distinguish between a business and a hobby?

The main (perhaps only) difference, tax wise, between a business and a hobby is that with a hobby you can deduct expenses only up to the amount of the income

To decide whether your photography is a business or a hobby, you should also read this short article on the IRS website:  Hobby or Business? IRS Offers Tips to Decide   If, after reading what the IRS has to say, you consider your photography a business, continue to treat it that way on your tax return and include it on a Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dvorak1

I’ve already decided that it’s time to convert it to a hobby. I’m just not putting enough time into it to justify another year of losses. My question concerns how to file this. Do I file 2018 as a business again but just mark that I no longer have it and then report as a hobby for 2019 or do I just not report it as a business at all for 2018 and go ahead and report it as a hobby on this tax year (18)?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Report it as a business in your 2018 return and indicate in the General Info section that you stopped the business in 2018.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Next year, you can report your Hobby Income under:  Income & Expenses > Less Common Income > Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C Hobby income and expenses > Hobby income and expenses
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies