Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a question, so I donated roughly 12 dollars to an overseas non-profit organization and I'm wondering if it's tax exempt or if I have to file?

I already took a screenshot of the receipt just in case but I'm just wondering.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a question, so I donated roughly 12 dollars to an overseas non-profit organization and I'm wondering if it's tax exempt or if I have to file?

Charitable donations can only be entered on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.  If your total itemized deductions are not greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status there is no need to report the charitable donation on your tax return.

Go to this IRS website that has a search to tool to determine the eligibility of an organization to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions - https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/search-for-tax-exempt-organizations

Standard deductions for 2023

Single - $13,850 add $1,850 if age 65 or older
Married Filing Separately - $13,850 add $1,500 if age 65 or older
Married Filing Jointly - $27,700 add $1,500 for each spouse age 65 or older
Head of Household - $20,800 add $1,850 if age 65 or older

To be deductible, the charity must be registered in the US as a tax-exempt organization.  There is a search tool here,

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search

Some overseas charities have US branches, but others do not, so it depends on who you donated to.

Then, you can always list qualifying charitable donations on your tax return, but how much benefit you get depends on your other itemized deductions (mortgage interest, state and local taxes) and other filing situations that we don't know about. 

And...you posted your question from the Free Edition, which does not support entering charitable donations.   Unless you are really using Deluxe or higher, and are entering other itemized deductions like mortgage interest and property tax, etc. etc., the twelve dollar donation would not have any effect on your refund or tax due and does not need to be entered anywhere.   And, since it was to an overseas charity, whether or not you could even enter it is questionable.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

donations to foreign charities are not deductible unless made through a US registered branch or affiliate. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies