Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a medical prescription for a hot tub. Can I deduct something, like the cost of electric to run it all year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

I have a medical prescription for a hot tub. Can I deduct something, like the cost of electric to run it all year?

Yes, you can even deduct the cost of the hot tub if it was prescribed, as you stated, and it is for the treatment of a disease.  Remember, it is important that you will be the only one using the hot tub if you would like to deduct 100% of its cost.  If anyone else uses it, you can only deduct a portion based on the percent of use by the other person/people. See IRS publication here to learn more.  An excerpt regarding the hot tub is attached as a screen shot.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Melaine

Yes, you can even deduct the cost of the hot tub if it was prescribed, as you stated, and it is for the treatment of a disease.  Remember, it is important that you will be the only one using the hot tub if you would like to deduct 100% of its cost.  If anyone else uses it, you can only deduct a portion based on the percent of use by the other person/people. See IRS publication here to learn more.  An excerpt regarding the hot tub is attached as a screen shot.

sekay2k
Returning Member

how do you deduct the electricity portion for pool/spa
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies