turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a full time job but am also self employed. What form do I use?

I just need to know how to get started.  My taxes are complicated this year, as I had two employers, was unemployed, and have 2 direct sales (self employed) jobs.  I need to be sure I am selecting the correct form when filing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelMc

I have a full time job but am also self employed. What form do I use?

You are going to file an ordinary Form 1040 tax return, which will include your wages from employment, with a Schedule C attached for your self employment income and expenses. I suggest that you consider using our TurboTax Self-Employed product.

TurboTax Self-Employed will help you report all your business income, whether or not reported to you on Forms 1099-MISC. Self-Employed also supports the full range of allowable business expenses, including home offices and depreciation, and provides additional coaching to maximize your business-related deductions.

However, you can use TurboTax Online Deluxe or Premier if your business only claims standard vehicle mileage, phone expenses, and/or miscellaneous expenses up to $100. Since you mentioned direct sales, I suspect that your business is a bit too complicated for this solution.

If you're still not sure which version you need, you can start with Deluxe. We'll prompt you to upgrade to Self-Employed if we determine that your business situation requires additional product support.

I am including a link to a product comparison chart and purchase options. TurboTax Online Products

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies