Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a an "other foreign financial asset" that is an investment account. It is managed by a bank. What do I select as the entity type? None seem to fit.

Partnership, Corporation, Trust and Estate do not seem to apply in this situation. Is there another way to enter this information?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have a an "other foreign financial asset" that is an investment account. It is managed by a bank. What do I select as the entity type? None seem to fit.

Please check back later. I'll page Champ @pk.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@littlemisskissey75  from your post should I assume that you are talking about how to report  Foreign specified assets for purposes form 8938 ?   Or are you at line 3 --" type of filer" -- if so then you are a "specified individual".  A specified individual is a person whom comes under the regs pertaining to FATCA..  This is generally a US person ( Citizen / GreenCard / Resident for Tax purposes ).

If you have a foreign bank / broker  account with cash or cash equivalent or monies held for investment , then you meet the reporting requirements of FATCA.  RealEstate is not Specified  financial item.

Does this help ?   Is there more I can do for you ?

This still does not answer what I select as the Entity type....and yes, I am referring to form 8398. Thanks in advance.

Untitled.png

If the shares (investments) are held in a brokerage account (via a bank or otherwise), then you need to check "No" on the screen in the screenshot above.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@littlemisskissey75 , having read through all the posts/responses and going over the  form 8938, I think you are dealing with the entries for  line  35 where  "   If asset reported on line 29 is stock of a foreign entity or an interest in a foreign entity, enter the following information for the asset.".    

Assuming that that is where you are, then and generally  the entity whose stock/equities you hold , is a corporation.  Note that the type of entity generally depends on the country where your "other" asset  is held.

From your earlier post I thought you are talking about cash being held by a foreign bank ( even if for investment purposes ).  Those would usually be classed as "deposit" accounts.  Cash held in an investment account is usually a custodial account .   

Does this make sense  or am  in left field again ?

Comments by my colleague @tagteam , I agree with to the extent that he understood your issue.   Please tell us more so we can focus  on your situation rather then answering in generalities.  Please forgive my last error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies