Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rol_cc84

I had a pre-existing HSA account. No money was put in it for 2018 but money was distributed. Do I put all 0's for part I?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had a pre-existing HSA account. No money was put in it for 2018 but money was distributed. Do I put all 0's for part I?

Part I will be mostly zeros (one or two boxes may have entries for other reasons), but you should not be making any entries directly to Part I anyway, if I understood you correctly.

You are correct in thinking that you must file the 8889 because distributions were made from the HSA. Just go through the HSA interview as normal (Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA MSA 1099-SA), enter your 1099-SA, and make no entries for contributions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Part I will be mostly zeros (one or two boxes may have entries for other reasons), but you should not be making any entries directly to Part I anyway, if I understood you correctly.

You are correct in thinking that you must file the 8889 because distributions were made from the HSA. Just go through the HSA interview as normal (Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA MSA 1099-SA), enter your 1099-SA, and make no entries for contributions.
rol_cc84

Thank you very much. Do I need to send in the 1099-SA form? It said it is just for my records.

"It said it is just for my records" That is correct. Enter the 1099-SA into TurboTax, then file it with your other tax records.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies