Tabes84

I do not understand what "Adjusted basis of home sold" is nor do I know how to find the information. I sold my house last year and my returns on IRS.gov have not updated.

ToddL99

As @DoninGA stated on a different post:

The Adjusted Basis of the home is the original purchase price plus certain settlement fees paid at time of purchase and the cost of any improvements made to the home prior to the sale.

For a detailed explanation of items that can be added to the basis of a home including types of improvements, see IRS Publication 523, specifically Basis Adjustments—Details and Exceptions

Tabes84

I do not know how to calculate the adjusted basis. I understand what it is but not how to get a dollar amount.

AmyC

You know how much you paid for the house originally. That is $x.

You know how much you spent on improvements to the property $y.

You know how much you paid to sell the property with realtor fees, etc, $z.

Your costs basis is $x +$y + $z.