Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought Etherium on Coinbase and transfer it to Binance. Upon transfer, I trade Etherium to Ripple and that’s it. Now, I have Ripple and didn’t sold yet. What do I need to do as far as tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought Etherium on Coinbase and transfer it to Binance. Upon transfer, I trade Etherium to Ripple and that’s it. Now, I have Ripple and didn’t sold yet. What do I need to do as far as tax

Although the "like kind exchange" aspect has been used in the past by some traders, deferring taxes, the law has now been changed to limit the application of like kind exchanges to real property.  So at this point (post-12/31/17) a cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency "swap" is now a "sale" that needs to be reported.  Your basis in Etherium is whatever you paid for it in US dollars.  Your "proceeds" is the translation of the Ripple at an appropriate rate into US dollars.  The difference between proceeds and basis is your gain or loss.

You'll enter that into TurboTax using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and tell TurboTax that no 1099-B was received. 

If you have a really big gain to report you might want to make estimated tax payments, though if you have a job where taxes are withheld and you usually get a refund, that might not be necessary.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Although the "like kind exchange" aspect has been used in the past by some traders, deferring taxes, the law has now been changed to limit the application of like kind exchanges to real property.  So at this point (post-12/31/17) a cryptocurrency to cryptocurrency "swap" is now a "sale" that needs to be reported.  Your basis in Etherium is whatever you paid for it in US dollars.  Your "proceeds" is the translation of the Ripple at an appropriate rate into US dollars.  The difference between proceeds and basis is your gain or loss.

You'll enter that into TurboTax using the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and tell TurboTax that no 1099-B was received. 

If you have a really big gain to report you might want to make estimated tax payments, though if you have a job where taxes are withheld and you usually get a refund, that might not be necessary.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies