Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sj_kohler

I am using Turbo Tax for Small Business. I know my mileage usage for my business, but not my TOTAL mileage. Should I just estimate?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I am using Turbo Tax for Small Business. I know my mileage usage for my business, but not my TOTAL mileage. Should I just estimate?

You can estimate the total mileage because you will need it in order to claim the business mileage. 

Be aware though that in the event that your return is audited for some reason and the mileage is examined, the IRS will expect some documentation justifying the business miles and the total miles.  Check you oil change or auto repair records near the beginning and the end of the year.  They generally would include your odometer readings. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You can estimate the total mileage because you will need it in order to claim the business mileage. 

Be aware though that in the event that your return is audited for some reason and the mileage is examined, the IRS will expect some documentation justifying the business miles and the total miles.  Check you oil change or auto repair records near the beginning and the end of the year.  They generally would include your odometer readings. 

sj_kohler

Thank you! Yes, I was planning on using my oil change info to estimate. My business mileage is to and from the post office. I have postage receipts that verify when my packages shipped, which explains the trips to the post office on those days.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies