turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Property Taxes twice what I paid.

My Property Taxes for my primary residence appears to be exactly twice what I paid, under Personal -> Deductions & Credits.    When I try to delete the entry for Property Taxes, it automatically puts it back in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelMc

I am fairly certain that you have probably entered your property tax under the Business Use of the Home and in the Personal section. The Business Use of the Home will apportion your property tax to the area of your house used for business, and carry the remainder back to Schedule A. Remove the amount from the Personal interview, being surew to save your return and your problem should be solved.

When I try to remove this entry from my personal interview, I can’t, for it auto populates the amount.

P.S.
If I go to my Schedule A form, on line 2a "Real estate taxes paid on principal residence NOT entered on Form 1098" there is an entry of $9,454, and on line 2b "Real estate taxes paid on principal residence entered on Home Mortgage Int. Wks" is an entry of $9,454.  

This $9,454 does NOT show up on my Form 1098, and couldn't find my Home Mortgage Int. Wks.

Which line entry do I remove (2a or 2b)?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies