I am an international student. I cannot file tax t...

hnguyen19

I am an international student. I cannot file tax through SprinTax as I am considered U.S. resident (2014- 2021). I don't have SSN so TurboTax don't allow me to file tax

TurboTax also said "If you are an international student and need to file Form 1040-NR, you will not be able to use TurboTax. " I contact SprinTax about this matter but they keep tellling me to use TurboTax
BillM223

To file either the 1040 (TurboTax) or the 1040NR (Sprintax), you must have either a Social Security number or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

If you are required to file either tax return, then you will have to get an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) from the IRS.

The easiest way is to use TurboTax (if you are allowed to file a 1040) to create the return, then take it to a Taxpayer Assistance Center with a W-7. The W-7 applies for the ITIN, which is normally filed with your 1040.

If you can show a person at the Taxpayer Assistance Center your documentation (passport, etc.) then you avoid having to mail your documents and not having them for some weeks or months.

This can also be done by visiting a CAA (Certifying Acceptance Agent) who can "witness" your documents. Note that some CAAs may want to do your tax return as well as accept your W-7 - you will have to ask.

Please also see these links for more information:

Please see this TurboTax page on the W-7.

Also, please see How do I file with a W-7?

hnguyen19

Thank you for your help! I am traveling outside of the U.S. from January to July 2021. Is there anyway that I can obtain ITIN and file my tax online? Thank you.

BillM223

Please see the IRS page Obtaining an ITIN From Abroad.

The IRS used to maintain tax offices in some consulates, but I don't know if those had to shut down. However, I think the CAA link that I gave you has some listings out of the US.

If you are moving between countries this year, you will want to keep your documents with you as much as possible, so finding a CAA or an IRS office in a consulate would be worth the expense.