turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take standard deduction (schedule A) on Federal taxes and itemize on state taxes ?

If I take the standard deduction on my federal return can I itemize for my Oregon

return?  Oregon instructions say I can but is it against the Federal rules ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Can I take standard deduction (schedule A) on Federal taxes and itemize on state taxes ?

Yes, you can use the standard deduction on your Federal return but itemize on your Oregon state return.

There is nothing in the Federal tax laws that say you must use the same deductions on your Federal and state returns.  It is governed by each state instead. 

Be sure to enter all of your deductions as you go through the Federal section of your return in order to maximize your state deductions when the information transfers to your state return.

paulhshen

2018 turbotax doesn't allow me to use the standard deduction on your Federal return but itemize on your Maryland state return. help needed
NProszkow

I am also in Maryland I just found the same issue.  With this new tax law - Turbotax needs to be able to file a standard deduction for the federal return and check to see which deduction will achieve the the best return.

I made a copy of my TurboTax file and I'm debating filing the "standard deduction" copy just for federal and the "itemized deduction" copy just for Maryland.  Is that an acceptable work-around to the issue?

I am also finding that turbotax doesn't allow me to use the standard deduction on your Federal return and itemize on your Maryland state return.  Is there a fix for this?

I also encountered this for my Arizona tax return.  Was able to use Standard deduction for Federal but TurboTax advised I itemize deductions for AZ State.  Unfortunately the state form says to attach Schedule 1040 Schedule A to the State return and TurboTax hasn't created one.

@NProszkow  @jeff-teresa @quickduck2

This is a 3 year old question.   Many tax laws have changed and the answer no longer applies to 2018.

The current answer to the question is:  It depend on the 2018 state tax rules.   Check your state requirements to see if it is allowed in 2018.   Some states allow that and other do no.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Th20659

It is not a 3 year old question if it is a software issue.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies