Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim the US-China tax treaty for 2018 tax return?

I am an international student pursuing a PhD degree. My tax status is resident alien The US-China tax treaty Article 20 states students have some credits for tax. How could I claim it? I know that I have to include the form 8833 on my tax return generated by TurboTax. But how should I do that? Does Turbo Deluxe supports form 8833?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Here are the instructions:

• Report your full income under the appropriate section. Then enter the treaty-exempt amount as negative amount (e.g. -5000) under Federal Taxes / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable Income
  • Download and fill in a Form 8833 from IRS to claim an exception.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8833.pdf
  • You cannot e-file.  You can still use the TurboTax program to prepare your tax forms, but you need to print them out and submit by mail along with the form 8833. 

chaos_mm

I am also a PhD student. When I enter the W-2 form information, I do not have a section for Federal Taxes. And the subsections you mentioned. I only have a section for Less common items. And there are specific box items corresponding to the W-2 forms. Could you please give me some advice of how to claim the Tax Treaty? Thanks!
chaos_mm

I find it. Thanks
claireli11
Returning Member

hey where did you find it? I only see the section for "Less common items" which doesn't allow me to enter negative numbers
chaos_mm

click "Federal", scroll all the way down, click "show more" for "Less Common Income", the last one you'll find "Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C"
claireli11
Returning Member

I don't see the "show more" option : ( is it under the "wages&income" tab? and are you using the online version?
xiaofengz

Using the free online version, I cannot find it either

Where do you mail this form to?

Where do we mail this form to?

i e-filed by mistake. Is it OK if i mail the documents separately or do i have to do sth like withdraw the e-filed taxes first?
lx2164

I am also a phd student, similar situation as you. But for what I read, we may not need to file Form 8833. From the website, https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits. I also attached a screenshot with highlight.

Anyone, reading this, please let me know if I am wrong. Because I am planning to e-file without 8833.

Belovely

I see what your point is and I agree with you. Did you get your tax return successfully last year by e-file? I am about to e-file mine as well. not 100% sure this is correct. Please let me know. Thanks. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You must file a U.S. tax return and Form 8833 if you claim the following treaty benefits:

1. A reduction or modification in the taxation of gain or loss from the disposition of a U.S. real property interest based on a treaty.
  2. A change to the source of an item of income or a deduction based on a treaty.
  3. A credit for a specific foreign tax for which foreign tax credit would not be allowed by the Internal Revenue Code.

You must also file Form 8833 if you receive payments or income items totaling more than $100,000 and you determine your country of residence under a treaty and not under the rules for determining alien tax status.

Exceptions

You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations:

1. You claim a reduced rate of withholding tax under a treaty on interest, dividends, rent, royalties, or other fixed or determinable annual or periodic income ordinarily subject to the 30% rate.
  2. You claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services, pensions, annuities, social security and other public pensions, or income of artists, athletes, students, trainees, or teachers. This includes taxable scholarship and fellowship grants.
  3. You claim a reduction or modification of taxation of income under an International Social Security Agreement or a Diplomatic or Consular Agreement.
  4. You are a partner in a partnership or a beneficiary of an estate or trust and the partnership, estate, or trust reports the required information on its return.
  5. The payments or items of income that are otherwise required to be disclosed total no more than $10,000.

If you have Form 8833, you should print your return and paper file with Form 8833 attached.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies