Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a Canadian citizen studying in the US on an F1 visa. I have been in the US for more than 183 days. I do, however, have ties to Canada still. How do I file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am a Canadian citizen studying in the US on an F1 visa. I have been in the US for more than 183 days. I do, however, have ties to Canada still. How do I file my taxes?

If you are on the F-1 visa and have stayed within the five years time period from the first year you enter the US, you are considered as a nonresident.  You will need to file a Form 1040NR.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to contact our partner Sprintax.  Whether you still have a closer connection with your home country is irrelevant in this situation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are on the F-1 visa and have stayed within the five years time period from the first year you enter the US, you are considered as a nonresident.  You will need to file a Form 1040NR.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to contact our partner Sprintax.  Whether you still have a closer connection with your home country is irrelevant in this situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies