turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inherited 1/3 interest in a house, sold it 11mo. later. Took $15,000 less than the appraised ($65,000) value. Where do I enter this information? Will I get a credit?

The $15,000 loss would be divided 3 ways so mine would be $5000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BobB7

Inherited 1/3 interest in a house, sold it 11mo. later. Took $15,000 less than the appraised ($65,000) value. Where do I enter this information? Will I get a credit?

How was the house used during the eleven months?

Why was it sold for much less than the appraised value?

It was empty, was not being used.  Sold for less due to slow market, anxious to sell.

which turbo tax question do I respond to to get this entered? Which section does it go under?
BobB7

Assuming it was appraised at $65000 for estate purposes and that none of the heirs used it for personal use during the 11 months then you need to treat is as real estate held for investment and take a capital loss.  Since it is inherited property that loss is treated as a long term loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies