Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to remove duplicate care provider?

I didn't notice the previous entry for the same care provider was recorded in the system and entered the same care provider for 2024 tax filing. I did searched previous posts but none of them was helpful. I was not able to find the screen "Here’s what you spent on care providers" to edit it... It will be greatly appreciated if you can advise how to remove the repetitive vendor. Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can go back and delete the duplicated provider. 

Here's how to do that:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Start or Edit under Deductions and Credits.
  3. Select Edit to the right of Dependent Care Credit.
  4. Answer the first question Yes.
  5. On the screen Here's what we have so far, select Done.
  6. On the screen Here's what you spent on care providers, select Delete to the right of the duplicate entry.
  7. Answer Yes, to confirm your Delete.
  8. Select Done, then Continue to the end of the section. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info, Julie! 

Unfortunately, there is no such screen "Here's what you spent on care providers" on the online Turbotax that I've been using. The following screen was shown after I click "Done" for "Here's what we have so far". There is no care provider list that can be edited or removed. The only option is to "Add Another Care Provider".

If I don't remove duplicate ones, the system asks me to provide the address and the amount paid for each care provider added automatically to Form 2441 and the system doesn't allow me to complete the final check for tax filing if I choose not to provide such info for the repetitive care providers.

Could you please help me check this issue again and advise how to remove the duplicate care providers?

Thanks again!

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 9.20.30 AM.png

Apparently, there is additional information that needs to be included on that page which you are on and doesn't allow you to go further.

Here's what I would suggest,

Click on the blue Learn More button

If you paid additional daycare costs to the on-site provider that is not included in Form W-2, box 10, you'll need to enter the care provider again.

To get the amount for this new entry, subtract the box 10 amount from the total sum paid to the on-site provider.

Example:
You paid the on-site provider $3,000 to care for your child; however, only $1,800 is entered in box 10 of your W-2.

Add a new provider (use the same name) and enter $1,200 as the amount you paid.

Or you may simply have to change provider information by which you would return to your W2 entries, choose the employer and Select edit. 

Go through the screens to make certain that all the information that was initially entered is correct.

When you come to the end, you'll hit "Done."

And then see where that takes you.

Another option may be to delete the W2 entry that shows the the dependent care provided by the employer and reenter the information from scratch.

Or you may have inadvertently created two W2'S with the same dependent care provider information in there and you may have to simply delete the duplicate W2.

For that, you'll click on Wages and Income on the left hand side, if you see a duplicate W2 entry for which the dependent care credit has been entered on Line 10 again, then simply delete the entry.

[Edited 02/22/2024 12:47 pm PST]  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the information! 

I found out the solution by deleting Form 2441 with the instructions found in the community posts, which removed all the childcare providers that I ever entered, and re-entering the childcare provider's info, including the business name, address, EIN, dollar amount paid in 2023. The problem got fixed finally.

Previously, I was worried how to add Form 2441 back or whether it could be re-generated after I delete it to remove the information entered wrong. So I was afraid to do so. Since there's no better option, I had to give a try. I was happy that it worked out. Form 2441 was re-generated after the childcare provider's full info was entered and tax credit showed up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies