Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to complete form 8881 for automatic participation feature tax credit?

I am a sole proprietor with no employees and opened a solo 401K in 2023. I would like to file for the automatic participation feature tax credit ($1500 over 3 years). When I access the section for form 8881 it refers to Startup Costs. I am not trying to file for the Startup Costs tax credit as I don't have employees, just the automatic participation feature tax credit. Am I able to do this in TurboTax Premier Online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It is a startup cost for setting up retirement plans for employees. You qualify to claim this credit if:

• You had 100 or fewer employees who received at least $5,000 in compensation from you for the preceding year;
  • You had at least one plan participant who was a non-highly compensated employee (NHCE); and
  • In the three tax years before the first year you’re eligible for the credit, your employees weren’t substantially the same employees who received contributions or accrued benefits in another plan sponsored by you, a member of a controlled group that includes you, or a predecessor of either.

if you are a sole proprietor with no employees and prepare a Schedule c return ,you are not eligible for this credit. Please refer to this IRS link for more details. This is the same credit that you described as a automatic participation feature tax credit and is about startup costs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was clear in my original question that I am NOT trying to take the startup cost credit in part I. I want to take only the Small Employer Auto-Enrollment Credit in part II. Turbotax premium online will not allow me to complete form 8881 Part II only. The IRA instructions for part II are clear that an eligible employer is different than for Part I. I do meet the criteria for part II. If I can't take this credit in TurboTax premium online I will have to complete my return and file elsewhere. Please advise.

I would also appreciate an answer to this question. I have a solo 401k and am trying to claim the $500 auto-enrollment credit in Part II (NOT the startup costs credit in Part I). I have Turbotax Home & Business.

jfoote2

I have the same issue. I spoke with someone at turbotax and they said that it is not possible to fill out part 2 of the form 8881. 

Do you know if the form (Part II) can be overridden/manually filled in?

jfoote2

I asked this question and it seems that it is impossible (which I'm skeptical of).  

rxman921

When will this be fixed to allow claiming the credit under "Part II. Small Employer Auto-Enrollment Credit"?

Waiting on this to be fixed!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You will need the TurboTax desktop program to take the part 2 credit without taking part 1.  That functionality isn't in the online version.

Here's how to switch to the desktop program from the online program.

@gpientka 

@rxman921 

@T2019T 

@jfoote2 

@coop00 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the desktop, home and business edition. It is still forcing me to enter a value in Part 1 of the 8881. I only want to fill in the part II. My return is getting rejected without an amount in Part 1. This is a bug and needs to be fixed in the desktop version as well.

I clicked the link to find out how to switch from online to desktop. Do I need to purchase desktop? I already purchased the online version so I shouldn't need to buy Turbotax twice.

Did you see the last comment from akchandran, who says that they still can't enter Part 2 of 8881?

Is it possible to file by mail and include form 8881 manually? If so then the Turbotax final numbers won't be correct.

DEREK67

I WOULD LIKE A RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. MY TAX RETURN WAS REJECTED. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies