turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

How to claim my union dues

How do I claim my union dues
1 Reply

How to claim my union dues

Union dues are job-related expenses.  Only the amount of job-related expenses that are OVER 2% of your adjusted gross income get added to your list of itemized deductions, which still must exceed your standard deduction in order to make a difference on your return.  This is kind of a hard deduction to get.  If you need to enter these, go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses.

That being said, you are posting from the Free version of TurboTax which does not support itemized deductions.  In order to itemize your deductions, you need an upgraded version of TT such as Deluxe (or higher).  If you do not have enough deductions to itemize, then your union dues will not affect your refund or tax due.  You will just receive the standard deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies