Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcthomas35
Returning Member

How to calculate your partial exemption for capital gains after selling home?

I am selling my home that I have had for 19 months because I got a job in another state. From my understanding we will be eligible for partial exemption. My question is wondering what the formula is for figuring out how much will we be taxed on if we are making $200,000 profit from the sell of our home? Thank you for any help that can be provided. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You used the term I & we so are you & your spouse selling?  Did you both own/ live in the home for the 29 months? 

mcthomas35
Returning Member

Im sorry that was a mistake. My wife and I have lived in the house for 19 months. 

@mcthomas35 - presumably you lived in the home the entire time.   the exemption is the number of days you owned the home divided by 730. 

@NCperson wrote:

@mcthomas35 - presumably you lived in the home the entire time.   the exemption is the number of days you owned the home divided by 730. 

The partial exemption is based on the shortest of 3 periods:

1. The number of days you owned the home

2. The number of days you lived in the home as your main home.

3. The number of days since you last used the exclusion, if you used it previously.

For example, if you bought the home Sept 30, 2019, you moved in October 1, you moved for the new job on March 1, and didn't close on the sale until June 15, 2022, you would use October 1-MArch 1 as the shortest eligible period.  Then it's a straight pro-rate.  If the shortest qualifying period was 560 days, then you divide by 2 years (730 days) = 76.7% x $250,000 means your partial exclusion is $191,780, or double that if you are married filing jointly and your spouse has the same ownership and residency period. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies