Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to address non-qualifying HSA contribution due to last-minute rule failure

Contributed max amount to my HSA in 2017 based on the last-minute rule (LMR).  However, had only 2mo HDHP coverage in 2018, thus failing the LMR.  Now I need to report majority of 2017 contribution as income.  Do I need to remove this amount from my HSA?  If so, how do I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you enter the questions relating to 2017, TurboTax will correctly and automatically handle the re-calculation of what your 2017 annual HSA contribution limit should have been and count the computed 2017 "excess" as income in 2018 as well as add a 10% penalty.

You do not withdraw the now-excess 2017 contributions, because any amount you were eligible to contribute under the last month rule does not become a true excess contribution simply because you fail to satisfy the testing period.

You only owe income tax on the "excess" amount and a 10% recapture tax (on your 2018 tax return in this case) on the amount that you contributed that was in excess of the amount that you would have been eligible to contribute were it not for the last-month rule. No need to withdraw anything from your HSA.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When you enter the questions relating to 2017, TurboTax will correctly and automatically handle the re-calculation of what your 2017 annual HSA contribution limit should have been and count the computed 2017 "excess" as income in 2018 as well as add a 10% penalty.

You do not withdraw the now-excess 2017 contributions, because any amount you were eligible to contribute under the last month rule does not become a true excess contribution simply because you fail to satisfy the testing period.

You only owe income tax on the "excess" amount and a 10% recapture tax (on your 2018 tax return in this case) on the amount that you contributed that was in excess of the amount that you would have been eligible to contribute were it not for the last-month rule. No need to withdraw anything from your HSA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies