turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does Uber driver calculate car value depreciation for tax deduction purpose?

My understanding is as a uber driver, I could either take standard mileage rate deduction or actual expense deduction, on top of either one I can also deduct car value a portion of depreciation (for me it's 2 out of 7 days) which could be $1000 a year for a car around $47k, my question is how can I calculate the car deprecation? Should I just go to KBB and simulate them by miles increase etc. ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

How does Uber driver calculate car value depreciation for tax deduction purpose?

In the Vehicle Expenses section, TurboTax allows you to compare the Standard Mileage Deduction with your actual expenses. 

The Standard Mileage Rate includes a depreciation allowance. If you chose to compare this to your actual expenses, you will enter information about your vehicle to allow TurboTax to calculate depreciation. At the end of the section, you will find a comparison of the two methods to provide you with the best choice for your tax situation.

As a self-employed Uber driver, you will report your Vehicle Expenses on Schedule C. The easiest way to find this section in TurboTax is to search on "vehicle expenses" and click the link in the drop down list that relates to your business (rental, farm, or self-employed). This will take you to the start of the vehicle expense section.

See also: Tax Tips for Uber, Lyft, Sidecar and other Car Sharing Drivers

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

In the Vehicle Expenses section, TurboTax allows you to compare the Standard Mileage Deduction with your actual expenses. 

The Standard Mileage Rate includes a depreciation allowance. If you chose to compare this to your actual expenses, you will enter information about your vehicle to allow TurboTax to calculate depreciation. At the end of the section, you will find a comparison of the two methods to provide you with the best choice for your tax situation.

As a self-employed Uber driver, you will report your Vehicle Expenses on Schedule C. The easiest way to find this section in TurboTax is to search on "vehicle expenses" and click the link in the drop down list that relates to your business (rental, farm, or self-employed). This will take you to the start of the vehicle expense section.

See also: Tax Tips for Uber, Lyft, Sidecar and other Car Sharing Drivers

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies