turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you handle proceeds of a mobile home sale in North Carolina? Home was my mother's, left to my brother & I when she died in September.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

How do you handle proceeds of a mobile home sale in North Carolina? Home was my mother's, left to my brother & I when she died in September.

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

I'm sorry for your loss.  The sale of the mobile home is treated as the sale of an investment. To report the sale of personal property for a gain you will need to upgrade to the Premier edition

To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income [In TT Self-Employed:  Federal > Income & Expenses.]
  2. In the Investment Income section click on the Start/Revisit box next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.  
  3. If you have already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Here's the investment sales info we have so far.  Click on the Add More Sales link.  
  4. If you haven't already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Did you sell any investments in 2019?  Click the Yes box.
  5. On the screen, Now we’ll walk you through entering your sale details, select Other from the dropdown list.
  6. Enter the other requested information about the sale  and click Continue.  
  7. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

[Edited | 3/23/2020 |  11:47 am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Who was the legally appointed and recognized administrator of her estate after she passed? You maybe? You did run everything through probate court first, right?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

I'm sorry for your loss.  The sale of the mobile home is treated as the sale of an investment. To report the sale of personal property for a gain you will need to upgrade to the Premier edition

To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income [In TT Self-Employed:  Federal > Income & Expenses.]
  2. In the Investment Income section click on the Start/Revisit box next to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.  
  3. If you have already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Here's the investment sales info we have so far.  Click on the Add More Sales link.  
  4. If you haven't already entered some investment sales, you will see a screen Did you sell any investments in 2019?  Click the Yes box.
  5. On the screen, Now we’ll walk you through entering your sale details, select Other from the dropdown list.
  6. Enter the other requested information about the sale  and click Continue.  
  7. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

[Edited | 3/23/2020 |  11:47 am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies