Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmmiccio

How do I roll the cost basis of my old, fully depreciated business car, into my newer replacement vehicle?

I used my 2004 business car as a trade in for a 2016 business car, in late 2018. It seems that form 8824, like kind exchange, is not for vehicles. Also, turbo tax calculated that I need to recapture the full amount of the depreciation taken, instead of rolling the basis into the new car.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

How do I roll the cost basis of my old, fully depreciated business car, into my newer replacement vehicle?

You are correct that as of 2018, like-kind exchanges can only be done for property.

If your business vehicle was fully depreciated, and you traded it in (didn't sell it), enter your Sales Price as $0

TurboTax will ask the FMV of the vehicle when you first started using it for Business, then ask Basis for Gain/Loss and AMT Gain/Loss, which you can leave blank.

If you used Standard Mileage, TurboTax asks Depreciation Equivalent (not more than FMV used previously). If you used Actual Expenses, you can enter Accumulated Depreciation from 2017 Form 4562. 

That's all you need to enter; TurboTax will report your Gain/Loss.  If  you used Standard Mileage, you will have no Gain/Loss (screenshot).

Set up your New Vehicle with a Cost Basis of what you paid for it. 

An article on Business Use of Vehicles:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/business-use-of-vehicles/L6hi0zzzh

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies