turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i report foreign exchange losses ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Foreign exchange (Forex) traders fall under Section 988, which covers short-term foreign exchange contracts like spot Forex trades. 

Forex gains and losses are reported on your tax return as Other Income.  Report a loss as a negative number.

To report your Forex loss, please follow these steps:

• Click on Federal Taxes (left menu) then on Wages & Income/Income & Expenses (up top)
  • Under All Income, locate the Less Common Income section
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C at the bottom
  • Click Start next to Other Reportable Income
  • Describe the amount as Section 988 Forex gain or loss (enter a negative number for a loss)

Foreign Exchange Reporting Discussion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Foreign exchange (Forex) traders fall under Section 988, which covers short-term foreign exchange contracts like spot Forex trades. 

Forex gains and losses are reported on your tax return as Other Income.  Report a loss as a negative number.

• Click on Federal Taxes (left menu) then on Wages & Income/Income & Expenses (up top)
  • Click Show more and click Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C at the bottom
  • Describe the amount as Section 988 Forex gain or loss (enter a negative number for a loss)

Foreign Exchange Reporting Discussion

Thank you, Mr. Dawn for your help.  I will try on Turbo and then give my comments.

• Another pending issue is: where do I enter additional foreign tax credit for additional taxes paid in 2020; when income on sale of flat and foreign tax credit was filed in 2019.  If I enter this additional foreign tax credit on form 1116 without any income from sale of flat in 2020, I get nothing because 1116 uses ratios. Is there any other place where I can enter additional tax paid in foreign income? 
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@geauga You could Amend your 2019 return to add the additional Foreign Tax paid on the 2019 income. 

initialt

My currency trading is a loss for 2022.

Example, I entered "IRC 988" for description,  "-$50,000" for taxpayer amount under Misc. Income; other reported income section

My  question is, does this apply for Federal and certain State, such as California ? because under the State of California reporting, Misc.; Other Adjustment to Income; do I enter the same for Federal the -$50,000 loss?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Per our Expert DawnC, Forex gains and losses are reported on your tax return as Other Income.  Report a loss as a negative number.

Hi,

How do I carry this over to the NIIT form? Basically have around $100K in 'interest' from foreign government bonds, but it is offset by approx $100K in that country's currency depreciating. So in USD terms made ~$0 round-trip (USD->forex->bond->forex->USD).

Even if I add the loss as negative income, TurboTax wants me to pay ~$3k in NIIT. But as far as I can tell, treasury regulations clearly say "... foreign currency gain or loss that otherwise is not subject to the Self- Employment Contribution Act is appropriately treated as net investment income. ". So my understanding is I should be able to adjust the NIIT to deduct the loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies