Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I input a CREDIT against income with an RMD charity donation?

Initially Turbotax inputted it as a Credit but when I had my return done, it has placed it under donations, so it didn't count as a credit and we take the standard deduction.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you fill out a return reflecting the correct age of 70 1/2 (or older) during the year and enter the 1099-R RMD, keep going and on one of the following screens you'll be asked if you made a qualifying charitable contribution.  It will show up on 1040 line 4b as 0 and QCD written by  it.  Did you already file it?  You can amend.  

This is from my Desktop program......

1099R QCD.jpg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you fill out a return reflecting the correct age of 70 1/2 (or older) during the year and enter the 1099-R RMD, keep going and on one of the following screens you'll be asked if you made a qualifying charitable contribution.  It will show up on 1040 line 4b as 0 and QCD written by  it.  Did you already file it?  You can amend.  

This is from my Desktop program......

1099R QCD.jpg

The QCD (Qualified Charitable Distribution) must be a direct transfer from the IRA to the charity. you should be asked about making them after entering the basic 1099-R information. Note if you get the RMD and personally write a check to a charity this is not a QCD. you'll get to deduct it but only as an itemized deduction on Schedule A. Then your itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to get a tax benefit. A QCD is not a tax credit but a reduction of the taxable portion of the RMD thus lowering your adjusted gross income. You can still use either the standard deduction or itemized deductions. but if itemizing you  CANNOT include any QCD amounts. 

go back to the retirement income section

IRA

go through the pages until you come to one that says transfers to charity?

select the proper option - all, some, none

continue

you'll be asked the amount that went straight to charity if it was only some of the RMD 

line 4b of the 1040 should reflect the taxable amount less the QCD, yuo'll also note QCD by the line

Thank you so much! That was the answer I needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies