turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ss081775

How do I get to the form 8842? I think is the correct number for EIC I wasn't allowed last year to claim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ShawnaD

How do I get to the form 8842? I think is the correct number for EIC I wasn't allowed last year to claim

The form for disallowed EIC is Form 8862, Information To Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance.

You can update your Earned Income Credit for Form 8862 in TurboTax by logging in to your account and select continue the return.

• On the Tax Timeline select "Federal Taxes".
  • Select "Deductions & Credits" on the second menu bar.
  • Select the "Check for more tax breaks" button, then click "Skip to see all tax breaks".
  • Scroll down to the "You and Your Family" section and click "Show More" to expand the list.
  • Click "Start(or Revisit) next to "Earned Income Credit (EIC)". 
  • You will answer a couple of questions, then on the screen that asks "Do any of these uncommon situations apply?" select the box "We/I got a letter/notice from the IRS telling us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit". (screenshot attached)

You can then answer the remaining questions and continue your return.

Dear Turbo Tax,

I submitted my tax return , after completng form 8842 and form 2241.

But at 1AM on July 16th I get a rejection of both my FEDERAL and STATE tax returns.

QUESTIONS:

1.  Will Turbo Tax creat a IT Patch to correct this 8842 form, since I entered the correct information , but TURBO TAX did not accept the correct SS Number of my son, after I submitted the TURBO Tax docuements last night at 10pm ??

2.  Did the IRS change the forms 8842 and 2241 in year 2020 ??

3.  Have other that are married with 2-4 children that are dependents had the same problems ?

4.  Yes I did get help from TURBO TAX expert for 50 minutes, but still not resolved.  Therefore do I now email or MAIL an amended form , for my $6400 tax REFUND for both Federal and State returns, to avoid a Penality  ??

Thanks.

Patrick S.

I already answered all questions.  Please have someone at TURBO TAX call me please. at Phone [phone number removed], call after 1pm EST.  Thanks.

Patrick

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies