Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i fill out my 8889-t?

neither my job or i put money into it
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

If you made no contributions to your HSA in 2022, you will still need to file Form 8889 if you took any distributions from the account. That would be reported (to you and the IRS) on a form 1099-SA, and you would enter the details at the beginning of the HSA section of TurboTax.

If there were no distributions, you may not need a 8889 this year. But some other HSA scenarios call for that form (or even a Form 5329), so I suggest going through the interface anyway. (And if you had an 8889 or 5329 in a prior-year, the TurboTax program likely will insist that you do anyway.)

@noah930243, be sure to re-post here if you have any more HSA-related questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

If you made no contributions to your HSA in 2022, you will still need to file Form 8889 if you took any distributions from the account. That would be reported (to you and the IRS) on a form 1099-SA, and you would enter the details at the beginning of the HSA section of TurboTax.

If there were no distributions, you may not need a 8889 this year. But some other HSA scenarios call for that form (or even a Form 5329), so I suggest going through the interface anyway. (And if you had an 8889 or 5329 in a prior-year, the TurboTax program likely will insist that you do anyway.)

@noah930243, be sure to re-post here if you have any more HSA-related questions!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies