turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I determine how much personal contribution I made to my HSA , not through my employer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How do I determine how much personal contribution I made to my HSA , not through my employer?

You would only make an entry to report HSA contributions if you made them outside of payroll. You would have a bank deposit slip, you could look at your account or call your bank to find out how much you deposited. 

If you do your HSA contributions through payroll, all you need to do is enter your W-2 in TurboTax. You don't need to determine how much your employer paid in and how much you paid in.  

• Your HSA contribution is reported in Box 12 of your W-2 with the code W (Company Contributions to Health Savings Account).

Tip: Code W actually reports the combined contribution – yours plus your employer's. So if you contributed $1,500 to your HSA and your employer matched it dollar for dollar, Box 12 on your W-2 would show $3,000 with a code W.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you not know this?  If you made personal contributions, you would make them by sending cash, check or money order to the HSA bank, either online or by mail.  You should have bank records.  Your HSA bank should also be able to give you a statement of your account, possibly that you can download online. 

I ended up here because I have a similar issue. I however, do know how much I contributed. I'm wondering how I report it to turbo tax so I don't have to pay taxes on that money?

I used a small initial HSA contribution amount through payroll, but then as money was available I made large deposits directly to the HSA account on my own to max out the $7750 family limit, and now I seem to have nearly $3000 in HSA contributions that I'm still paying taxes on.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

You can also contribute directly to your HSA and get a tax deduction. This is uncommon for employees who make pre-tax contributions at work, but is more common for self-employed or unemployed taxpayers who have an HSA.

Here’s how to enter a post-tax HSA contribution in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search bar, search for hsa and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the screen Tell us about the health-related accounts you had in 2023, check the box next to Health Savings Account (HSA) and select Continue.
    • If you land on Your HSA summary, select Edit, then make sure the Health Savings Account (HSA) box is checked on the next screen and select Continue.
  4. If you see the screen Here’s what we have so far, select Done.
  5. Answer Yes or No to Did you inherit this HSA?, depending on your situation.
  6. Enter your contribution on the screen Let’s enter your HSA contributions and select Continue.
  7. If you contributed too much, you'll see the message You may want to withdraw funds from your HSA. Select the option to either withdraw the excess or pay the penalty.
  8. Continue answering the questions until you reach Your HSA summary. All your employee contributions will be listed as a deduction, and any contributions made by your employer and not reported on your W-2 will be reported as tax-free company contributions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@d_goldsmith wrote:

I ended up here because I have a similar issue. I however, do know how much I contributed. I'm wondering how I report it to turbo tax so I don't have to pay taxes on that money?

I used a small initial HSA contribution amount through payroll, but then as money was available I made large deposits directly to the HSA account on my own to max out the $7750 family limit, and now I seem to have nearly $3000 in HSA contributions that I'm still paying taxes on.

Payroll amounts are reported directly on your W-2 only and are not added manually later.

Amounts you deposit directly are reported in the HSA interview on the deductions and credits page.

Make sure you also indicate that you had qualifying HDHP insurance all year.  And make sure the contributions and insurance are reported for you and not your spouse.  An HSA is owned by one person only, even if you have family insurance.  If spouse A is covered by a family HDHP and makes contributions, the contributions must be reported for spouse A.  If the contributions are accidentally assigned to spouse B, they might be viewed as taxable unless you also indicate that spouse B is covered by a qualifying HDHP.

Lastly, if you have HSA withdrawals (from a 1099-SA) they will also automatically be treated as taxable until you finish the interview and certify that all the funds were used for qualifying medical expenses.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies