Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slhtech
Returning Member

How do I claim a Federal Solar Tax Credit for purchase of a Velux Energy Performance skylight?

Form 5695 only allows me 10% deduction (for a maximum of $500), but when I purchased a Velux Skylight I was told it would qualify for a 30% tax credit. I've already added my other exterior doors/windows under the main category, but I can't find anywhere on the form that indicates I can claim the 30% I was told I would get. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How do I claim a Federal Solar Tax Credit for purchase of a Velux Energy Performance skylight?

I would review the input in the program as follows:

1. Go to the Federal section
  2. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  3. Scroll through all tax breaks until you see the section titled "Your Home."
  4. To the right of "Home Energy Credits", select revisit
  5. Continue through the screens until you see the following.  This is the section you should input your improvement costs in.

Energy credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
slhtech
Returning Member

Thank you. Ive done that several times. This particular screen doesn't allow for a skylight option and under each "learn more" button, it explicitly states to not include installation/labor costs. We were informed by not only the Velux Skylight supplier, but also our contractor that all of it would get us a 30% tax credit. Ive read thru numerous pages of irs.gov faqs and read all the fine print on the actual 5695 form. It simply doesn't make sense

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Per this article from EnergyStar, the credit for skylights is capped at 10% and does not include installation:

https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits/non_business_energy_property_tax_credits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TMT
Level 2

I think that the above answer is incorrect.

This is different from the EnergyStar 10%

Trying to figure put the same using TTax on my return.

VELUX website is EXPLICITLY clear on their discount.

http://www.veluxusa.com/help/tax-credit

1) "... qualify under “Solar Electric Property” expenditures when purchased and installed from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2021. "

2009-2019Save 30% federal tax credit

2) "Fill out IRS Tax form 5695 and submit it with your taxes. Enter this tax credit off of form 5695 on your 1040 form."

And my neighbor got his 30% on his tax return already - though he has his accountant do his taxes.

So ... back to your original question ... how to enter for the 30% using TTAx ...

There is another post that refers to "Additional Energy Efficient Improvements" screen and "SolarElectricCosts", if you click "Learn More" you get

"Solar electric property

Enter the amount you paid for any property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home. The home does not need to be your main home. However, you may not include costs allocable to a swimming pool or hot tub.
The tax credit is 30 percent of the costs for assembly, preparation, and installation as well as piping and wiring."

So seems like this is the field.

... and it does populate Form 5695 as mentioned by VELUX

Note, also per TurboTax,

You "may" be able to claim both the 10% and the 30% per TTax .

Read to the bottom below ...

The Residential Energy Credits for 2018 consist of the nonbusiness energy property credit and the residential property credit.

Important: If less than 80% of the use of an item is for nonbusiness purposes, you can claim only the personal use portion of the costs to determine the credits. For example, if your business usage of the doors and windows you installed is 82%, then you can claim only 18% of the cost of these items when determining your credit.

Don't forget to reduce your purchase price of any energy-efficient property by the amount of a subsidy you received from a public utility for the purchase of the equipment. If you include the subsidy in your income you don't have to make this adjustment.

Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit equals 10 percent of what a homeowner spends on eligible energy-saving improvements , up to a maximum tax credit of $500 for the combined years since 2006. The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

In addition, the cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count. By spending as little as $5,000 before the end of the year on eligible energy-saving improvements, a homeowner can save as much as $500 on his or her 2018 federal income tax return.

Note:Due to limits based on tax liability, other credits claimed by a particular taxpayer and other factors, actual tax savings will vary. These tax savings are on top of any energy savings that may result.

Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit The residential energy efficient property credit, equals 30 percent of what a homeowner spends on qualifying property such as solar electric systems, solar hot water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, wind turbines, and fuel cell property. Generally, labor costs are included when calculating this credit. Also, no cap exists on the amount of credit available except in the case of fuel cell property. Qualified fuel cell property is limited to $500 for each one-half kilowatt of capacity of the property.

Not all energy-efficient improvements qualify for these tax credits. For that reason, homeowners should check the manufacturer's tax credit certification statement before purchasing or installing any of these improvements. The certification statement can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or with the product packaging. Normally, a homeowner can rely on this certification. The IRS cautions that the manufacturer's certification is different from the Department of Energy's Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.

Eligible homeowners can claim both of the residential energy credits when they file their federal income tax return. Because these are credits, not deductions, they increase a taxpayer's refund or reduce the tax he or she owes.

Well it would help if you would enter the SOLAR property on the correct screen ... do NOT put it under WINDOWS ...  skip that section and keep going until you get to the solar screen  ... 

1....jpg2....jpg

We installed 2 skylights with solar nite lights  how do i claim by solar tax credit

@sholyfield wrote:

We installed 2 skylights with solar nite lights  how do i claim by solar tax credit

Skylights are not eligible for the Residential Energy Efficient Property credit.  Only Qualified solar electric property, Qualified solar water heating property, Qualified geothermal heat pump property and Qualified fuel cell property.

The form showed by Critter-3 above, using "Solar electric costs" worked for me and gave the 26% discount and auto-filled in the Form 5695 as described by Velux, including installation.  (Since the skylights have solar panels built in they are generating electricity used in the skylights and blinds) http://www.veluxusa.com/help/tax-credit 

wonderwoman1
Returning Member

I have entered the total amount of the installation of my Solar Panels. The Solar Company said I would receive $16,000 in a refund but I keep entering the information and it only gives me $6,400.  What am I doing wrong?

TomD8
Level 15

@wonderwoman1 

The federal solar tax credit is non-refundable.  That means that you will not get a tax refund for the amount of the tax credit that exceeds your tax liability.  However, you may carry over any unused amount of tax credit to the following year.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies