ailalcaraz

How do I change the option that I won't be withdrawing my HSA excess contributions? I can't seem to find or go back to the page where they ask that question.

I want to change that I'd rather get taxed the 6% on my HSA excess contributions than withdraw all of it by April 15th. 

BMcCalpin

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the dynamic workflow of the TurboTax interviews, sometimes when you want to change an entry, you can't find that screen again because TurboTax won't show it to you. The amount of the excess contributions that you want to withdraw is a good example. Once you tell TurboTax how much you will withdraw, it won't ask you again, even when you go through the interview from the start.

The safest way to force TurboTax to show you the questions that you need is to delete all HSA information and start over.

It won't take long, and it is much less frustrating that going back and forth through the interview, trying to guess how to get to that question again.

To delete the HSA information, please do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

***NOTE*** if you carry over the excess contributions to 2019, then you MUST reduce your regular 2019 contributions by the amount of the carryover. This is because the carryover is counting as a "personal" contribution in 2019. If you don't adjust your contributions in 2019, then you will just have another excess and you'll be penalized again.

Don't view this as a big negative. What the IRS is doing is letting you deduct the carryover in 2019 instead of in 2018.