charlesruffing

How could adding or deleting a $5000 charitable donation not change my federal return?

I was waiting on a statement from my church on our donations in 208. When I added the amount the federal refund amount didn't change by a penny. I found this odd as it recalculated on every other single donation I made. I deleted the church contribution and re-added it with the same outcome. How is this possible?

Coleen3

Is your standard deduction larger than your itemized?  Have you already received all your withholding back? Is your tax liability due to a tax other than Federal?
ChristieB

If you go into Forms mode, click on Open Form on the left-hand side, and then type in Schedule A, you will be able to see everything that is qualifying so far towards your Itemized Deductions, including your donations to charitable organizations. The total will be on Line 17 of your Schedule A. 

On your Form 1040, either the Standard Deduction or your Itemized Deductions amount will appear on Line 8. Your Itemized Deductions total must exceed the Standard Deduction for your filing status in order for it to have any impact on your tax return. TurboTax will use the value that offers you the most tax benefit.