turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How could adding or deleting a $5000 charitable donation not change my federal return?

I was waiting on a statement from my church on our donations in 208. When I added the amount the federal refund amount didn't change by a penny. I found this odd as it recalculated on every other single donation I made. I deleted the church contribution and re-added it with the same outcome. How is this possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

How could adding or deleting a $5000 charitable donation not change my federal return?

Is your standard deduction larger than your itemized?  Have you already received all your withholding back? Is your tax liability due to a tax other than Federal?
ChristieB

If you go into Forms mode, click on Open Form on the left-hand side, and then type in Schedule A, you will be able to see everything that is qualifying so far towards your Itemized Deductions, including your donations to charitable organizations. The total will be on Line 17 of your Schedule A. 

On your Form 1040, either the Standard Deduction or your Itemized Deductions amount will appear on Line 8. Your Itemized Deductions total must exceed the Standard Deduction for your filing status in order for it to have any impact on your tax return. TurboTax will use the value that offers you the most tax benefit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies