Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I qualify for EITC and child tax credit if all I receive is VA compensation as my source of income I'm rated at 100%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How can I qualify for EITC and child tax credit if all I receive is VA compensation as my source of income I'm rated at 100%?

If your only income is nontaxable, you have no earned income, you won't be able to qualify for the EIC or CTC.    You need earned income to receive those refundable credits.  Click the link to see what qualifies are earned income.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So it says long term disability pay if under the retirement age I'm only 35 like I said I'm 100% service connected disabled 

totally and permanently disabled so I can't work but I still take care of the kids it doesn't make sense that I can't get the tax benefits of taking care of them

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It sounds like your benefits may qualify as earned income based on your age. Can you clarify what form the benefits are reported on and what boxes on that form have numbers or codes and what the codes are please?

I'm sorry what forms are you talking about the only form that I receive is the one that states I have Insurance from the VA Im not sure who or what I ask for  

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please provide some additional information so that we can assist you.  The form that ThomasM125 is asking for is the form that you received that shows how much Disability Benefit you received.  Is it a form 1099R and what number is in box 7.

Disability payments qualify as earned income depending on: The type of disability payments you get: Disability retirement benefits.  @mandyme801

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies