Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pouyaav
Returning Member

How can i get form 982

I downloaded the pc version to access form 982

i could add form 982 ,but it doesn’t have step by step question and answer for complete the form 982

So now I have just completed form 1099-C and my cancel debt is taxable 

how can I complete form 982 and then add it to my return for excluding that amount from my taxable income

i mean if turbo tax doesn’t have step by step format for 982 form,how can I complete this form manually and which part of that form should be complete ,if i had for example $2340 canceled debt when insolvency exemption applied to me.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How can i get form 982

You can find step-by-step instructions in the TurboTax Help article How do I report excludable (non-taxable) canceled debt?.

Also, as you're entering your Form 982 information into the program, it's helpful to have a pdf of both Form 982 and the Instructions for Form 982 in front of you.

In certain situations, you can exclude amount of discharged indebtedness from your gross income.  You do this by filing Form 982 with your tax return.

How can i get form 982

I mean no offense to you or your answer, which seems accurate and thorough, but in what universe does it make sense to charge for the insolvency form? I seriously cannot wrap my head around the logic. TurboTax is so painfully predatory. Hasan was right.

bonnie28

How can i get form 982

I filed bankruptcy but it still wants the amount included on my 1099-c form as income. I was told by my bankruptcy lawyer to fill out a 982 form but it doesnt come up on turbotax

MayaD
Expert Alumni

How can i get form 982

Please clarify if you are entering forgiving debt on a qualified personal residence or other type of excludable canceled debt?

Please check the link below for more information and for instructions on how to complete form 982:

How do I report excludable (non-taxable) canceled debt?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can i get form 982

which one of the products do I download to get access to form 982.  It is very confusing.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

How can i get form 982

TurboTax Deluxe Desktop and higher will have the form 982 available.  

1. First enter all your information including the 1099-C  for the cancelled debt as applicable
  2. You can then switch to the "Forms mode" in the upper right corner of TurboTax 
  3. "Open Form" at the top of the form listing on the left hand side 
  4. Type in "982" in the search box to find the form 982 
  5. Highlight and "Open the form".  

@ellingtonlawanda 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies