How can I delete a foreign tax credit that has been inserted into my return as an itemized deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ToddL

Use the "Delete a Form" tool to remove the 1099-DIV (or 1099-INT) that reports Foreign Tax Paid, Form 1116 - Foreign Tax Credit, and the Foreign Tax Credit Worksheet. 

You may have to play around with the order they are deleted; preferably all at the same time, but you may have to do this in 2 or more steps.

After deleting these forms and worksheets, log out of the program. When you log back in, use the Delete a Form tool to confirm these forms and worksheets have been removed from the list of forms in your return. Then, reenter the 1099-DIV (or 1099-INT) without an entry in Box 6 (Foreign Tax Paid) Other wise, the program will keep trying to generate a Form 1116.

See: How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?