Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

n_j
Returning Member

Home Warranty purchased for the buyer- selling expense?

Hi,

Im calculating the capital gains tax owed on the sale of my primary residence. We purchased a home warranty for the buyers (paid through escrow). Can this be included as a selling expense?

thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
n_j
Returning Member

I saw some mixed answers for similar questions posted by others. Some said it can't be deducted for primary residence so I wanted to make sure. 

@n_j wrote:

I saw some mixed answers for similar questions posted by others. Some said it can't be deducted for primary residence so I wanted to make sure. 

It's not a tax deduction.  What it really is, is a reduction in the selling price.  (If the home sold for $300,000 but you made a $10,000 seller concession, the selling price was really $290,000.  It doesn't matter if the sellers concession was for closing costs, repairs, or a warranty.)

If you don't have a 1099-S, then you could just report the lower selling price, but if you have a 1099-S the price needs to match, so you can enter the cost as a selling expense.   Entering the cost as a selling expense has the same effect on the capital gains calculation as lowering the selling price.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies