Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, i have a foreign bank account but with all the info i have provided, turbo tax says i don't need to reoport my forieng bank account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Hi, i have a foreign bank account but with all the info i have provided, turbo tax says i don't need to reoport my forieng bank account

You can continue through the interview.  You only need to file an FBAR if all your foreign accounts added together were over $10,000 on any day during the year.  Make sure that you report any foreign interest or tax paid if applicable.  

According to the federal government:

If you have foreign bank accounts, you may be required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if are a US citizen or resident and:

1. you had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

To be directed to the US Treasury Government Website to prepare a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, click FBAR (TurboTax does not support this form)

I'm having the same problem. I went through questions and mentioned that I have more than 10,000 dollars in a foreign bank. TurboTax still reports No on 1040.  It worked last year.  Not sure what is going on. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

It is because, with more than $10,000, you do not need to file a Form 8938 "Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets", which TurboTax handles.  That's why TurboTax reports "No" on your Form 1040.

However, you would need to file a FinCENForm 114, which is not handled by TurboTax. Click here to file FinCENForm 114: https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/main.html

File your Form 1040 as directed and file the FinCENForm 114 from the above-attached link.   Also, see this for reference: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

@​​​​​​svreddy666

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the same problem. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the online edition to select "Yes" for Part III Line 7a–Question 1 (and then "No" for Question 2, in my case). The software seems to have a bug. Despite what the poster above says, it seems, in my non-professional opinion, that you should disclose whether you have a financial interest in a foreign bank account (per the 1040 instructions), regardless of it's value (per the definition of "financial interest"). Just because it's low value doesn't mean you don't have a financial interest. However, you may or may not need to file other forms, depending on it's value. Again, just my opinion, and please ask a tax attorney for actual advice.

Anyway, I managed to get Turbotax to select the right boxes by playing about with each screen, then exiting the walkthrough/interview before completing the whole section. Don't finish the interview or it will reset your answers to "No" (assuming you have less than $10k/100k, as applicable). I can't remember the exact sequence, but I would select a box, move on to the next screen, then click the "Tools" to view/print my return.  Each time, I'd check to see what changed in Schedule B Part III of the actual form. Hope this helps someone (avoid perjuring themselves!).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies