turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vsilva

I purchase my home owner finance, how do I claim my mortgage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how to enter a mortgage interest on a seller-financed loan in TurboTax. You will need the name, address, and Social Security number of the person you made the mortgage payments to.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Deductions & Credits.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Deductions & Credits," under "Your Home" click the Start button for "Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance."
  • The first screen asks for the lender's name. Enter the name of the person you made the mortgage payments to.
  • The next screen says "Tell Us More About Your Loan" and has several checkboxes. Check the box that says "I did not receive a 1098."
  • On the next screen, enter the amount of interest that you paid. Enter only the interest portion of your payments, not the full amount that you paid.
  • The next screen asks for some additional information about your mortgage. Enter the requested information.
  • The next screen asks if it's a seller-financed loan. Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the seller's address and Social Security number.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how to enter a mortgage interest on a seller-financed loan in TurboTax. You will need the name, address, and Social Security number of the person you made the mortgage payments to.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Deductions & Credits.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Deductions & Credits," under "Your Home" click the Start button for "Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance."
  • The first screen asks for the lender's name. Enter the name of the person you made the mortgage payments to.
  • The next screen says "Tell Us More About Your Loan" and has several checkboxes. Check the box that says "I did not receive a 1098."
  • On the next screen, enter the amount of interest that you paid. Enter only the interest portion of your payments, not the full amount that you paid.
  • The next screen asks for some additional information about your mortgage. Enter the requested information.
  • The next screen asks if it's a seller-financed loan. Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the seller's address and Social Security number.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies