Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJ_L

Full time missionary overseas, how to fill US taxes?

Last January my husband and I became full time missionaries overseas, we don't receive separate actual income, we receive personal supports that cover our family expenses. We have been using Turbotax for many years before this change; now how do I even start filling our taxes.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LauraVF

I assume this return is for year 2017, correct?

Who provided the personal support funds? Were the funds received in cash? For what purposes were the personal support funds used (housing, utilities, health insurance, etc)? Who provided the housing arrangement (self-rent, or housing provided by the church)?

Did you incur any expenses that were directly related to your missionary work but were not covered by the personal support funds, nor were reimbursed to you in any matter?

Did you receive any tax forms for the year 2017, such as 1099 MISC or W2 from your U.S church?

Are you planning to continue as missionaries for 2018? Do you expect to receive these personal support funds this year as well, or are you expecting a salary?
LauraVF

Your situation is somewhat complex, I would like to suggest you consider getting expert advice from one of our CPAs or EAs by using TurboTax Live, our new on-demand product.

TurboTax Live allows you to connect to an expert directly from your screen. You can ask questions along the way, and an expert can review your return with you before filing. You can learn more about TurboTax live by following this link  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/turbotax-live.jsp 

jaymt

Does turboTax Deluxe work for situations like this?? (I'm a missionary abroad with a 1099-MISC box 7 income) We are looking at buying it, but don't want to waste money if our situation is too complex for it.
A_G999

Hi there,

Sorry to jump on your post. 
My husband and I left Tennessee in June 2018 to work as missionaries in Ireland.

I am struggling to file our taxes. Did you ever figure out what way to do it,

thanks! 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Hi!  TurboTax does have a product that can handle your situation.  Since you do have Box 7 1099-MISC income, you will need to file with a Schedule C to report this income as self-employment income.  This requires either the TurboTax Self-Employed Online edition or the TurboTax Home & Business edition if you prefer to download the software to run on a computer. 

Both versions can also handle the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion(FEIE) on your return.  If you prefer to use the foreign tax credit, rather than the FEIE, you will probably find that the Home & Business software is a little easier to navigate.

@A_G999

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies