Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@pvarun17  Nope. no hope. We desktop customers are stuck. 

Screenshot 2024-02-28 195606.png

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@harleypan86 oh no! Sorry to hear that. But, please don't lose hope. May I also please suggest you something. Can you try shutting down your Computer completely (Not hibernate or restart) but full shutdown and then try starting it again? Sometimes, software packages get updated when you restart the software as a result of shutdown. When you shutdown and restart your computer, software packages reinitialize, look for updates and hopefully in that process your software is able to ingest the software updates/fixes and hopefully you are able to submit it.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@pvarun17  done it. The same. 3/6. 

I guess we are doomed to get stuck. 

Screenshot 2024-02-28 201239.png

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@harleypan86 please try again tomorrow if possible. When I spoke to a customer rep a week ago, she mentioned something about trying to use the form the next day. I am assuming she referred to some back-end systems job that pushes these updates overnight. I have a bit of IT background hence speaking from my experience. If this doesn't work either then unfortunately you may have to wait until 03/06 and keep your fingers crossed that it works or get in touch with TT to fix it.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Yes it all depends on your tax liability. You have to complete the AMT portion even though you may not filing. My remaining portion was 200 so that was the max I  could take

Per irs instructions

Line 17

Although you may not owe alternative minimum tax (AMT), you must still figure the tentative minimum tax (TMT) to figure your credit. Complete and attach the applicable AMT form or schedule and enter the TMT on line 17.

Line 19

If you can’t use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit can’t be carried back or forward to other tax years.

I have not tried to file since the error. I am on desktop

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

It does make since that online would get updated faster. Since the data and software used is on TT server. Where as desktop user would see a delay. Because the updates are coming from TT to your desktop where it be a Mac, Windows.  There are extra hoops they have to go through for us desktop users like making sure the update does not crash your computer. Personally I prefer desktop due to I'd not want my taxes to be on some cloud server. But that is my preference.

DTT5

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

TurboTax now says wait until March 6. On the other hand, apparently, H&R Block does not support form 8911 for some reason. I could not access this subject of the form using their software. What I am mystified about is why TurboTax has not resolved this yet. The new IRS form has been available for a while.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Working now. Submission Successful. I wish TurboTax would have communicated better.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

The 2/29/2024 update resolved the issue with the 8911 form using the TT desktop version on Windows.  I e-filed my taxes this morning.

CLag
Level 1

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Yep!!  Todays Updates fixed 8911 problem!!!

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Confirmed, desktop version was also fixed on 2/29/2024. What a painful journey, mates. Have a good year. Hope next year there are better alternative platforms we can use.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 080148.png

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@harleypan86  Ah what a relief. Just as I predicted, a day after online fixes, the software fixes went in. Glad it is now done.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I filed as well now, but when I check my tax return form 8911 is not included, nor is there any amount listed on Schedule 3 (Form 1040) 6j

Edit: Maybe that is the TMT (Tentative Minimum Tax - I am not in the AMT bracket) kicking in as I had a solar credit as well? I don't know, I have given up and leave it at that. It always did list the credit for the charger at $0 (went through the whole ordeal of confirming my census tract), my best guess is that due to the solar I hit a ceiling on deductions.

However I had a higher tax refund shown, when I had the solar deduction in and then added additional income (reducing my deduction).

This really needs to be simplified, who is supposed to understand this.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

So here is where it stands for the record in 2024 for future searches: Form 8911 was released by the IRS on January 19, 2024 (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-irs-issue-guidance-on-the-qualified-alternative-fuel-vehicle-r...). Intuit then kept moving goal posts making broken promises for Form 8911 on 2/21, 2/22, 2/28, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/6, 3/7, and finally released today 2/29. The tax form availability status page (https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...) was incorrect the entire time showing ready for print and e-file for all products.

Those filing with form 8911, be sure you meet requirements and your installation location is in an eligible census tract:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/alternative-fuel-vehicle-refueling-property-credit

Due to TurtleTax's feet dragging and broken promises with moving target dates, I think it is better to assume they did not build any logic into verifying the census tract GEOID or your Address (or Latitude/Longitude) for eligibility and they maybe placing that responsibility on the filer to rush form 8911 out the door due to us complainers, I mean customers.

buddy30

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Has this been corrected yet? Your website does a poor job letting us know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies