Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

form 5695 Energy Home Improvement Credit Joint occupancy

I have been trying desperately to file our  taxes but due to the form 5695, we cannot. We purchased new windows in 2023 and split the cost between both us, we are not married. I keep getting this:

"We're updating how joint occupancy costs are reported on the tax return based on new tax law changes from IRS. Please check back soon."

I think I can go to file federal only, regardless of this message. I also believe that each of us only receive a $300 credit for the windows since you can not enter an amount larger than $600. That's all fine and dandy but I'd like to be sure I am doing this correctly and I won't get bit in the butt later. I filled out the worksheet and it did not help me. It was windows and the form stops for those and does not proceed to anything? It's a Home Improvement, not Property. Can anyone help me?

2023 Instructions for form 5695 - IRS - It also states this is a DRAFT January 26, 2024

Joint occupancy. If you owned your home jointly with someone
other than your spouse, each owner must complete their own Form
5695. To figure the credit, enter the amounts you paid for these items

on the appropriate lines of Form 5695, Part II. The amount allocable
to you is the smaller of:
1. The amount you paid, or
2. The qualifying credit of the property multiplied by a fraction.
The numerator is the amount you paid and the denominator is the
total amount paid by you and all other owners.
The credit limit for each property is as follows.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Have you updated your TurboTax desktop edition for the latest software updates?  The Form 5695 for tax year 2023 was released on 02/08.

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates

Using the TurboTax Premium online edition.  

I also have this question.  

I have checked every day since 02/08/2024 trying to file with a 5695 joint occupancy situation and the message remains below.  Does anyone know when this will be updated for the online edition.  

"We're updating how joint occupancy costs are reported on the tax return based on new tax law changes from IRS.  Please check back with us soon."  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Would you be able to send me a diagnostic copy of your return so we can further investigate this issue?  You can do this by taking the following steps:

TurboTax Online

• Tools
  • Tax Tools
  • Share My File with Agent
  • then note the token number and respond to me with the number

TurboTax Desktop

• Send Tax File to Agent
  • Send
  • Then respond with the token number to this message

The diagnostic copy does not include any of your personal info, it just includes numbers and forms so we can help solve the issue. 

(Edited 2/14/24 @ 7:31AM PST) @tundra72 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Clicking on the link, this does not apply to my situation.  The link is for a second or vacation home.  
Mine is a main home, joint occupancy.   

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You are correct.  I did edit my post above.  This is not the same issue, so if you could provide a token so we can look into this issue as I am not seeing this one listed as a known issue yet. You can do this by taking the following steps:

• TurboTax Online
  • Tools
  • Tax Tools
  • Share My File with Agent
  • then note the token number and respond to me with the number

TurboTax Desktop

• Send Tax File to Agent
  • Send
  • Then respond with the token number to this message

The diagnostic copy does not include any of your personal info, it just includes numbers and forms so we can help solve the issue. 

Hi, I did this and here is my token:  1184148.  I cannot complete form 5695 like the others for a jointly owned home.

araker

I am having the exact same issue but solar for my primary home I own with someone who isn't my spouse. When is the form going to be updated so we can file? 

Here is my token #: 1185103

Hello,

I decided perhaps the best thing to do was claim all of the energy credits myself but still check the joint occupancy, in order to be accurate.  I no longer get the error at that stage, but I do at the reviewal stage.  

It will not let me efile and tells me I have to file by mail.  

My token is 1187970

At this point thinking about cutting my losses, (as I can't get a refund from TurboTax for online premium), and going to a CPA.  

Please help.  

John P4
Returning Member

As of 2/24/2024, the joint occupancy worksheet still does not work.  The credit for a heat pump is supposed to be $2000 or 30%, whichever is less.  This is supposed to be split amongst the occupants.  For 2 occupants splitting equally, that should be $1000 each, in my understanding of it.  The program is trying to say it's $250.  The lines on the the joint occupancy work sheet appear to be confusing 2022 rules with 2023.  Is anybody else experiencing this issue?  I don't want to override fields, but this is the only way I can get this to work.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

As of the last TurboTax update, most of the known issues with Form 5695 have been resolved.  

There is still a calculation issue affecting only joint ownership of the home and claiming one specific credit that is scheduled to be corrected with the next update around March 8th.  If this applies to you, see this link and sign up for updates:  Why is TurboTax limiting my Home Energy Credit when I have a non-spouse occupant?

If you are still experiencing an issue, please respond with details so that someone may help you get it resolved.

@pansy 

@araker 

@tundra72 

@John P4 

I'm done.  Now there is an issue with the HSA form.  The error, and I just checked one minute ago, continues to state that there is an upgrade on 02/24/2024 that will correct it.  Today is 03/06/2024.  

After 8+ hours, (the equivalent of a vacation day), including 2 calls to TurboTax customer service, and 2 denials to refund my money for TurboTax Deluxe, I took the loss and went to an accountant.  Completed my taxes while I waited in his office within 15 minutes.  Refund already in my checking account.  

Hope my money was worth it.  After 5+ years you just lost a customer for life.

Good luck everyone.  Hope they get their act together by April 15th.  

John P4
Returning Member

This is finally fixed in the March 7 update.  That is an unacceptable time frame for such a simple fix.  I complained about this problem over a month ago.  Further, Intuit should not claim that a form is "ready" if there are any known problems in the form.  It is not good enough that the problem only occurs in a specific case.  That is not for them to judge.  If that specific case affects even one person, it is unacceptable.  I will be seriously considering using a different tax software next year because Intuit does not seem to place priority on fixing problems, and then tries to hide them, rather than disclose them so that people don't file erroneous returns.  I found no easy way to search a database of known problems, or to email a question and get an answer.  This method of using a forum or user group to learn about problems in unacceptable and ridiculous.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies