Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acattt
Level 1

Foreign Undistributed Gains

I have a foreign financial account which has net worth growth in last year, but I haven't sold it so it's not considered capital gains. Should I file it?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

You normally would not report a financial account with no income or capital gain/loss.  However, because this is a foreign financial account, there are special information reporting requirements.  You may be required an FBAR and/or Form 8939.

To go to the section in TurboTax Online that asks about foreign accounts, go here:

• My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type "foreign account" in the search box
  • Click foreign accounts and trusts, questions on schedule b in the search results below.

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, type "foreign account" in the search box at the top right of the screen.

Please follow this link for more information.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

You normally would not report a financial account with no income or capital gain/loss.  However, because this is a foreign financial account, there are special information reporting requirements.  You may be required an FBAR and/or Form 8939.

To go to the section in TurboTax Online that asks about foreign accounts, go here:

• My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type "foreign account" in the search box
  • Click foreign accounts and trusts, questions on schedule b in the search results below.

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, type "foreign account" in the search box at the top right of the screen.

Please follow this link for more information.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v