Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit carryovers for 2023 not showing up on Form 1116

Hi

I have completed entering all my income, deductions and credits for 2023.

When I review Form 1116 to see if all foreign taxes & credits are shown, I do not see any carryover of credits from previous years. I have been using TurboTax for many years and previously these numbers used to be carried over from preceding years.

Is this functionality not yet available? Or do I need to do anything so the amounts are copied from my previous year's return?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have the same issue with Form 1116 schedule B on my foreign tax credit (generated on foreign stock dividends) carryover from previous years. The accumulated credit carried forward (from  2018 to 2022) disappeared on the 2023 Form 1116 schedule. It shows the total amount accumulated, but this total is not added to the 2023 carryforward amount to be carried forward to 2024.

I talked to a TT representative, who looked through my 2023 tax file and she could not find any error, declared eventually that it's beyond her service, and recommended I utilize the paid TT consultation service. She also checked with her tech team and said the software was OK. 

Anyone else has the same issue?

Hi ssffnn

I finally got this to work. In step-by-step instructions where you enter foreign tax credit, there were two screens where I entered carryover credits (with and without AMT). After I did that the values  showed up on Form 1116.

Hope it works for you.

Yes. It works for me too.

Thanks.

Still don't understand why TT does NOT transfer all those info  (the total carried over credit from previous years), as it did in 2022 and prior.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies