Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Postal Code fields on form 8938 overwrite each other when entering both a Foreign Account and an Other Financial Asset. Fixes?

TurboTax is using a single field for both postal codes (not the rest of the address, since they obviously can be different).  When you put input anything in the Other Financial Asset postal code it overwrites the first.  

Example.  I put the word DUMMY in the Other Financial Assets postal code, and it overwrote the Foreign Account postal code.  I revisited later and wrote BUG in the Foreign Account postal code and it then showed the same in the Other Financial Assets.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Foreign Postal Code fields on form 8938 overwrite each other when entering both a Foreign Account and an Other Financial Asset. Fixes?

In testing your issue, I found the the address for a 'Foreign Account' and the address for a 'Foreign Asset' are reported in different sections on Form 8938, so they should not overwrite each other. 

Also, Form 8938 prepares a 'continuation sheet' if you have more than one account/asset.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

Two problems.  Both are on the "Additional Foreign Financial Accounts or Other Financial Assets", aka COPY1, COPY2, etc.

First issue:  It does not remember your answer to "Do you need to enter a Foreign Financial Account or an Other Foreign Financial Asset (or both) on this page?".  It defaults to the first choice, even if I have selected the third (both account and asset) and are now trying to edit a COPY.

Second issue:  As described in first posting.  It only happens in COPY1, COPY2, etc.  It works fine in the initial form, but NOT in the additional forms to add more Accounts/Assets.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

We have tested this experience and are unable to reproduce the outcome you have seen. It's possible this is browser-related. Please log out of TurboTax and do the following:

Refresh your browser and clear out your cookies. If that does not work, try clearing out your browser's cache. 

Please see below for information on how to delete your cookies. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

Please see below for information on how to delete your cache.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

If those steps don't let you move forward, it would be helpful for us to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see the same experience you are having. If we are able to determine the cause, we'll reply here and provide you with a resolution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies