turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the home office credit, in Turbo Tax self-employed it does not allow me to enter the income from my K-1 statement. As a result, I can't get the credit. Suggestions?

Turbo Tax won't calculate the credit without knowing my income in this section. If I enter the income again, then Turbo Tax will double tax me for federal taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For the home office credit, in Turbo Tax self-employed it does not allow me to enter the income from my K-1 statement. As a result, I can't get the credit. Suggestions?

Yes, the worksheet is on page 21 of Publication 587.  But it is pretty much identical to Form 8829, so I think the 8829 is easier to use.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf#page=21

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Do NOT be entering information in the Home Office section as a Sole Proprietor business.

For the K-1, are you a member of a Partnership?  Or are you a shareholder of a S-corporation?

I am a member of a partnership

IF the Partnership Agreement requires you to pay for those expenses, then you can deduct it in the section where you enter your K-1.  There should be a check-box asking if you had expenses.

However, the program does not have a handy office form for that, so you will need to manually fill out Form 8829 to calculate what your office deduction will be.

Very helpful, thank you. Although in Turbo Tax it indicates the correct form is IRS publication 587. 

Yes, the worksheet is on page 21 of Publication 587.  But it is pretty much identical to Form 8829, so I think the 8829 is easier to use.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf#page=21

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies