First time filing separate, tried to itemized deduction, says I don't qualify, however my spouse is, so I have to file standard which makes what I owe more?

When you file as Married Filing Separately, you and your spouse must file your deductions the same way, either both standard or both itemized.

Did you say that your spouse was taking itemized deductions? That would force you to take itemized deductions. You may end up with a lower amount off your taxable income than the standard deduction, and pay more taxes.

Review your Deductions and Credits page and review the questions asked at the end on that section of the interview and change your answers to the correct selections.