turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife received a insurance settlement from a car accident. Were would i disclose that on my tax return?

We purchased a house and part of the settlement was gifted to me to purchased the house. Were would I disclose that information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My wife received a insurance settlement from a car accident. Were would i disclose that on my tax return?

First check with the attorney to determine if any of the settlement is taxable. 

If you receive a settlement for personal physical injuries or physical sickness and did not take an itemized deduction for medical expenses related to the injury or sickness in prior years, the full amount is non-taxable. Do not include the settlement proceeds in your income. 

Other items such as lost wages or punitive damages will be taxable.  Review the IRS information link for clarification with your settlement.

• Settlements Taxability- IRS Publication 4345
  • To report taxable settlements use the following steps in Turbo Tax Deluxe:
    • Federal Taxes > Wages & Income > Less Common Income > Miscellaneous Income > Other Reportable Income > Yes > Enter Description and amount
As for the amount that was gifted to you, advice from an attorney would be advised.  Also, any amount invested in the house may have some allowable deductions but will not offset any funds that are required to be reported noted above.

The expenses that can be used if paid when you buy a home are mortgage interest, mortgage insurance premiums (entered under mortgage interest section), points or loan origination fees, prorated share of property taxes.

In TurboTax Deluxe follow these steps:

• In the search box type itemized deductions
  • Jump to itemized deductions > Your Home > Select each category and enter your expenses

If you didn't have a full year or the deductions are not greater than your standard deduction, the standard deduction will be used so put every item that applies to you including donations and any out of pocket job related expenses, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies